Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu has said that it is not the era of 1962, but the era of PM Modi in 2022 adding that situation is normal in the state’s Tawang area where a recent clash between the Indian and Chinese soldiers made headlines earlier this week.
Speaking at an event in Mumbai on Thursday, CM Khandu said that he is MLA from the Yangtse sector and is in Mumbai, which means the situation is normal in Tawang., reported ANI. Criticising the Nehru government’s approach towards China, he said, “It is not the era of 1962, it is the era of PM Modi in 2022”.
Khandu blamed former PM Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru for the present situation in the Tawang area. He said that Tawang was made a territory of India after the Simla agreement. “Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel had played a decisive role in unifying Tawang. But due to the failure of the then Prime Minister to take any timely decision, the situation continued to worsen,” he added.
He said, “It was Sardar Patel’s idea to join Tawang with India and asked the then Governor Daulatram to hoist tricolour in Tawang. The Governor chose Major Bob Khathing for the task. When Khating reached Tawang, he sought permission from the Centre…later Khathing himself hoisted the flag after he received no command from the Centre.”
Praising the Modi government, Khandu said, “Today, under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the country is recognizing its unsung heroes and they are being given a place in the curriculum”. The CM said that the Home Minister used to visit northeastern states once in a while until 2014, but now, every 15 days, a union minister reviews the work being done under his department.
CM Khandu added that before 2014, the Home Minister used to visit the northeastern states once in a while which was only confined to Guwahati. Khandu said that now the identity of the Northeast has completely changed from separatism, corruption, and drug menace.
His comments came days after a clash was reported in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang area between the Indian and Chinese soldiers. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has informed the Parliament that no casualty or serious injury on the Indian side occurred in the incident.